Monday, February 3, 2014

Potential Story Ideas for a Mobile Device

For my first mobile story telling project, I'd like to explore a specific aspect of nutrition. I found two experts at the University of Maryland who are knowledgable on topics that I find intriguing and would like to know more about.

1. Robert T. Jackson
Expert in: international nutrition

If I interviewed Professor Jackson, I would like to create an infographic that compares and contrasts diets in different parts of the world. One option is using google maps and placing pins with informative captions in different locations. Another option is going into photoshop and overlaying a map with clipart that conveys my information. I'm curious about how America's food pyramid differs with the rest of the world, and how diets affect health and life expectancy in each continent. It's hard to predict what other tools I should use for the project without having the information at hand. I feel that once I interview Professor Jackson, I will have a better concept of which media I should use to best convey his information.

2. Nadine R. Sahyoun
Expert in: nutrition and aging

Source: emergentmath.files.wordpress.com
If I interviewed Professor Sahyoun, I would also like to create an infographic, but one that compares how our diets should change as we age. It never occurred to me that someone who's 50 might need more or less of a certain food group than someone in her 20s. The food pyramid (on the right) is standard for people of all ages. I've never seen a food pyramid specifically targeted by age. I'm very curious about diets, as I'm not very informed about them. I think what we eat is extremely important and relevant to people of all age groups. Nutrition is a topic that affects us every day, yet most people don't pay much attention to their food or care how it impacts us physically. As I said above, once I interview Professor Sahyoun, it will be easier to determine what other forms of media I can use to best present the data. I think my final product could be widely shared and benefit a lot of people.


No comments:

Post a Comment